Subscribe Us

Breaking News

Upclose with Ms. Iloilo-Universe

Every girl’s dream is to be a princess and queen, but not everyone has been given the chance. Dorothy Marie P. Gemillan or ‘Dottie’ to her parents and friends is 21 years old stands 5’6”, and is a 3rd year nursing student at the Central Philippine University (CPU), crowned Miss Iloilo Universe by 2020. Truly an ‘Ilongga’ beauty because both her parents are from Iloilo City.

Gemillan could be a popular journalist in the future as she has won various awards in journalism, essay, and creative writing.

To her, being one of Miss Universe Philippines 2022 candidates is a great opportunity and honor.

“It’s a wide array of emotions, honestly. There are times when it excites me, and moments when I get terrified as well. But overall, I’m incredibly grateful for this opportunity to represent Iloilo City in one of the most prestigious pageants in the Philippines. There is no greater honor than this,” Gemillan said.

As one of the candidates in this prestigious pageant, Gemillan’s biggest obstacle is ‘TIME’.

She said she was still adjusting to the routines of being a Miss Universe Philippines candidate since she is also a student and most of the time faces academic challenge. But this does not stop Gemillan. Instead it strengthened, sharpened her management skill, made realize what should she prioritize first and that is to make that Ilonggos could be proud of her.

When asked, what qualities of being ‘Ilongga’ she could share with Filipino people, Gamillan wittingly answered, “Just as that famous line goes “Basta Ilongga, gwapa”, Ilonggas are known to possess holistic beauty that is deeply rooted from within. However, we are so much more than what meets the eye. The women of Iloilo are fearless, intelligent, tenderhearted, and oozing with substance. We honor our culture, gracefully handle adversities, and welcome changes. These traits, in my opinion, perfectly encapsulate the modern-day Filipina.”

Among the Miss Universe winners, Catriona Gray will always be Dotties’ inspiration in pageantry.

“Catriona Gray will always be my inspiration in pageantry. Not only did she set the standard, but she IS also the standard. It would take a long time before another queen could level the performance she has shown us, and that alone speaks volumes of how passion, dedication, and faith can immortalize you in history. I wholeheartedly admire Catriona Gray for that, and I hope I can be someone like her someday,” she explained.

Gemillan’s  inspirations were the people, who supported, encourage and give guidance while she doing this Miss Universe pageantry journey.

“It’s so easy to get demotivated in a situation where pressure affects the best of us. So having people who believe in me – in my potential and the things that I could offer- is my biggest inspiration. Luckily for me, I’m someone who easily gets inspired; a single pep talk can go a long way on my part. Being surrounded by individuals who genuinely give their encouragement and guidance are enough to invigorate me as I go through the competition,” she added.

To end, she is very thankful to all Ilonggos.  

“I give my most heartfelt love and gratitude to everyone who has given me their support. Everything that I’m doing for this competition is for our beloved Iloilo, and I hope that the Ilonggos will be with me throughout because this is their victory just as as it is mine. Together, we will show not only the Philippines but also the universe, that an Ilongga beauty is a force to be reckoned with,” Gemillan said./CML 

No comments